Bursar, Purser And Treasurer Conundrum

During my 38 years on this earth I have never spent time cogitating the difference between “bursar”, “purser” and “treasurer”. Now, thanks to yourDictionary, I need never do so:

The treasurer of a college or university is often called a “bursar” while the person with the same job on a vessel (air or sea) is a purser. Everywhere else the function is simply that of a treasurer.